The White House: When Miss. Mabel Walker was about to marry Lieutenant Edward Munro RN., her father's engagement present was £250,000 with which to build a family house at Rhinefield. (The family owned what is now the Rhinefield Hotel in the New Forest.)
However, this did not use up all of the money, so the White House was built as a summer residence from the residue. It was a "Modest Beach Hut" standing in six acres, completed in 1903, literarily within a stones throw of Milford beach. It has a nautical theme being in the shape of the bridge of an ocean liner. For one month each summer the family would take up residence for the benefit of the sea air.
The White House remained in the family until 1938 when it was sold to Middlesex County Council. At some stage the house was also rumoured to have been 'Lunatic and Mental Asylum’, but the history on this phase of its life is unclear. What is known is that the house became a Childrens Hospital during the period of 1938 to 1983. During this time it served as a convalescent home, mainly for child TB sufferers. From 1963, it became a school for those with special needs before falling into disuse by 1983 as it was too expensive to upkeep. Squatters and drug addicts moved in, vandalizing and removing the tiles and generally leaving it in a sorry state. It was purchased by the builder in 1997 for conversion into 14 self-contained luxury apartments.