Milford on Sea Village History

A brief history of this unique village by the sea.

Local Village Places of Interest

Westover Hall is a Grade II Listed Victorian mansion, the house was built in 1897 for the German industrialist Alexander Siemens by Arnold Mitchell. The Siemens family lived in Hanover and escaped from Bismark. Alexander and his brother introduced electricity to England.
The mansion with its imposing stained glass windows portraying Pre-Raphalite scenes from the "The Enchanted Wood". A splendid oak panelled Hall, has a carved stone fireplace and Minstrel's gallery. William Morris, Lord Nuffield, (one of the founders of the British motor industry) lived there from 1930 to 1932.

In 1800, Newlands Manor was leased by Admiral William Cornwallis but soon afterwards it was burnt down. The present house was designed by a Southampton architect but this building can not be seen from the road.
Mrs. Anna Whitby, came to live there as a companion to Admiral William Cornwallis and in 1819 when he died, she inherited the Manor. She built up the estate from 60 acres to 1,900 acres. Anna's daughter, Theresa, who married Frederic R.West of Ruthin Castle, inherited Newlands Manor in trust in 1850, and in 1886 it was handed to her second son William, who added Cornwallis to his surname. The Manor became the place for wild parties with visits from Edward VII and the Kaiser.
Col. William West died in 1917 and the property was disposed of by his son George, who had married Lady Randoph Churchchill. Newlands Manor was sold by auction to Sir John Power, M.P. for Wimbledon. The House was then sold again in 1948, and converted into private homes.

Hurst Castle is situated at the seaward end of the shingle spit that extends 1.5 miles from Milford on Sea. The end of the spit, only three-quarters of a mile from the Isle of Wight, and the views from the top of the centre keep are spectacular.
Hurst Castle was the perfect location to defend the western approach to the Solent. The castle was built by Henry VIII as one of a chain of coastal fortresses and was completed in 1544.
Charles I was imprisoned here in 1648 before being taken to London to his trial and execution.
The castle was modernised during the Napoleonic wars and again in the 1870’s when the enormous armoured wings were constructed. Two of the huge 38-ton guns installed in the 1870’s can be viewed in their casemates.
During World War II, Hurst Castle was manned with coastal gun batteries and searchlights. It even contains it own 'It ain't arf hot mum' style garrison theatre. (Kid's ask your Grandad). Since the castle has been opened to the public many more exhibits and exhibitions have been installed.
There is also a small café in the castle grounds for refreshments. Plus a ferry to Keyhaven Harbour if you can't face the walk back!

*Thanks to Shirley Millie for sharing information from her website.

to do

to eat

to stay

general

Disclaimer: All information in this website is provided in good faith. We do not accept responsibility for the accuracy of the information contained or that of any other websites we link to. Please check the details provided with the appropriate organisation or venue | Milfordonsea.org: Milford on Sea, Lymington, Hampshire, UK